Skip to main content

I Don't Have Time

Several times this past week, I found myself telling God that I didn't have time for Him. Not in so many words, but definitely by my actions. He doesn't scream "Deadline!" and personal devotions don't impact my GPA. In the short run, at least. As my mom said the other day, "the important things are seldom urgent, and the urgent things are seldom important." That summarizes my week. Everything with a deadline of the next morning got done (barely!), but everything that didn't have a deadline just got skipped. And since God didn't have a deadline, well.... He definitely got skipped.

In light of another very, very busy week ahead, I've been getting this gentle prod to re-prioritize my life. I need to make the important things urgent, and let the urgent things be unimportant. Yeah, bombing the Graphic Design presentation probably isn't the best idea, but 5 years from now, who's going to remember it but me? In the short run, my GPA isn't affected by how much time I spend with God. The long run is another story. I can only run for so long on my own energy reserves before I will crash (at this rate, Tuesday looks promising...).

I've heard that Luther supposedly prayed for 3 hours every morning because he had so much to do (I can't vouch for the validity of that fact, it's just what I've heard). It seems counter-intuitive, but I think this week, I'm going to try it. Well, not 3 hours, but a half hour each morning-- non-negotiable --spent in prayer and Bible reading.

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. Matthew 11:28-29

I've been filling my life with sand and trying to cram the big rocks in. It's not working. So, we're going to put the big rocks in first this week, and then pour on the sand. If all the sand fits, awesome. If not, well, tough. I have my priorities.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Note About My Siblings

The Original Siblings These are the "siblings". With the last three of the bunch graduating high school this year, I think it's an appropriate time to introduce them. On the left is Liz. An accounting major, she provides the common sense in the bunch. And thanks to her love of musicals, we all are a little more cultured. Next is Aaron. If you're ever in a jam, he'll be the first to help you out. And he'll make you laugh very hard in the process. Then Steph. Whether you've known her for 10 minutes or 10 years, she'll make you feel like an old friend. And she's often responsible for the-- never mind. It's classified. And Nick. Nick can hack your database or take a perfectly composed picture of a sunrise, depending on the day. And he's also got car ride composition covered. Abby. You'll know Abby's been there by the trail of little children tagging along after her. And she keeps us classy in word and deed. Finally Mica

The Thing I Hate About School

It's consuming. Here we are, last day of classes with four days of finals to go, and I'm consumed with homework. I have no time for people. I HATE IT!!! I like people. I like being with people, doing things with people, talking with people, and sharing real life with people. When I'm spending hours on homework, people have to get skipped. You want to do something with me? Well, I have an opening between 4:37 and 4:52. Would that work for you? No? Ok, how about three weeks from next Tuesday at 12:57? Oh, you have class then? Well, you'll have to go on my waiting list. If a Marketing Plan cancels, I'll let you know. That's basically been my whole semester. As frustrating as it has been, I've learned from it. Not necessarily applied what I've learned, but I have learned. A family friend who works for Campus Crusade in Florida says it well in one of his blog posts: "Everybody has 168 hours each week... The schedule is in your hands. How will you use yo

A Lamp to My Feet

"I'm so thankful for the Word of God that continues to, day by day, guide my steps and give me just enough light for the step I'm on." -Abby Hickey of Little Birdie Blessings I'm so thankful for my friend Abby and her encouragement. She has consistently texted me a scripture verse at least 4 times a week since last October. I can't begin to count the times when the verse she has sent has been exactly what I needed at the exact moment I needed it.  The day I was annoyed with EVERYONE on the road and EVERYONE that called in to work: "Clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, and patience." Colossians 3:12b The day I was agonizing over decisions affecting the future: "Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and He will establish your plans." Proverbs 16:3 The day I was going have a second interview and would possibly have to make a decision and I had no idea what way to go: "Whether you turn to the right or th