Skip to main content

Work in Progress

I've sat down to write a blog post 6 or 8 times in the past month, but I can never complete a concept. There have been several themes woven throughout my summer, but I think I'm still learning and growing through them and so I don't have a complete ending for them yet. Just stories and the "moral" I'm drawing from the right now.

If you get detached from the vine, you will wither.
Yeah, I know. No duh. But it's really true. Being home with a random schedule makes it much harder to be consistent in spending time with God. Basically, I've failed at being consistent this summer. If the truth were to be known. The past few weeks, I've been trying harder to more consistently spend time with God. And in the past week, I've had several spiritual conversations with co-workers, which is not something that has naturally come up before.
Moral: If you are attached to the vine, He will shine through you clearly.

One step at a time.
This one has occurred before in my posts. Lots. I'm still working on it. What I thought I was supposed to do with my life hasn't exactly worked out like I thought it would. Probably because of the "I thought" part. But anyways. With only a year left before I graduate, I'm a little freaked out about figuring out what to do with my life, because I definitely don't want to waste it! But I have a weird sense of peace that I will know at the right time. I think I could easily get so worked up about figuring out what I could do that would count that I would never actually do anything that would count!
Moral: Little things can count. Relationships with people. A conversation here and there. It doesn't have to be big to have worth.

Learn to love the seemingly unloveable.
One of my new bosses at work was and sometimes still is seemingly unbearable. He yells at people for reasons that often don't merit yelling (boiling a $75 lobster that wasn't actually ordered probably did merit the yelling, but most of the other stuff doesn't). And other things, which I won't detail here. I couldn't even think about work without getting mad at him. There came a certain point where, for some reason, I wasn't mad at him anymore. The past few weeks, we've gotten along pretty well, and in learning a little about his past, I've realized that some of the brusqueness is probably just a reaction pain in his personal life.
I have a similar scenario with a fellow employee. He is always looking for affirmation and attention. Because I don't like getting lots of attention, that personality type really annoys me. However, after many hours of polishing silverware in the kitchen and chatting with him, I've realized that, more than anything, he needs people around him who will love and accept him. He's made some big mistakes, but he's trying to pull his life back together. If us Christians won't accept him, another crowd will, and the good steps he's taking will come to naught.
Moral: Consider what hidden things might be playing into someone's actions before you make a snap judgment about that person.

Humility is freeing.

My dad was diagnosed with colon cancer about two months ago, and had surgery over 4th of July weekend. Though there were a range of emotions that came with this news, it was mostly humbling. There was a certain element of completely unhealthy and irrational pride that came with my family's general physical health. This made me realize that cancer is not selective. We don't have as much control over these things as we might like to think.
Moral: Though this experience has been an exercise in trust and faith, it has been mostly, for me, an exercise in dealing with pride and learning to share and lean on other people.

What have you been being taught lately? Are you being taught something that isn't a complete concept yet?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Note About My Siblings

The Original Siblings These are the "siblings". With the last three of the bunch graduating high school this year, I think it's an appropriate time to introduce them. On the left is Liz. An accounting major, she provides the common sense in the bunch. And thanks to her love of musicals, we all are a little more cultured. Next is Aaron. If you're ever in a jam, he'll be the first to help you out. And he'll make you laugh very hard in the process. Then Steph. Whether you've known her for 10 minutes or 10 years, she'll make you feel like an old friend. And she's often responsible for the-- never mind. It's classified. And Nick. Nick can hack your database or take a perfectly composed picture of a sunrise, depending on the day. And he's also got car ride composition covered. Abby. You'll know Abby's been there by the trail of little children tagging along after her. And she keeps us classy in word and deed. Finally Mica

The Thing I Hate About School

It's consuming. Here we are, last day of classes with four days of finals to go, and I'm consumed with homework. I have no time for people. I HATE IT!!! I like people. I like being with people, doing things with people, talking with people, and sharing real life with people. When I'm spending hours on homework, people have to get skipped. You want to do something with me? Well, I have an opening between 4:37 and 4:52. Would that work for you? No? Ok, how about three weeks from next Tuesday at 12:57? Oh, you have class then? Well, you'll have to go on my waiting list. If a Marketing Plan cancels, I'll let you know. That's basically been my whole semester. As frustrating as it has been, I've learned from it. Not necessarily applied what I've learned, but I have learned. A family friend who works for Campus Crusade in Florida says it well in one of his blog posts: "Everybody has 168 hours each week... The schedule is in your hands. How will you use yo

My Wise Advice

As I'm approaching my quarter-century-versary, I've been thinking about what wisdom I have to offer to the young whippersnappers. I don't have much. But there are a few things I've learned (the hard way is most often my learning style...). Don't make the mistake of thinking someday you'll "arrive" in your faith and have it all together. Stay teachable to the best of your ability. If you feel too confident in what you know about God, the Bible,etc., take a step back and remember how awesomely huge God is. Don't be like the pharisees and assume because you're a generally good person that you've got it figured out. God will make sure something happens that reminds you of that, and it probably won't be a good time. Make life a great big learning experience. Any time you have the opportunity to watch someone do something or try a new thing, take it. Watch the piano tuner. Hold the flashlight for the plumber. Pump the brake pedal for th