Skip to main content

Un-"Doing Church"

The first mistake we made was a church building. You see, by calling the four walls Christians often meet in a "church", we've lost something.

We've lost the idea that we are the church. Not those four walls and a roof.

By nominating the church to a building, we go to church.

The second mistake we made was a set of activities that fill our Sunday mornings. By calling singing and preaching "church", we've lost something else.

By following the same pattern most churches do, we do church.

And we forget: we are the church. You. Me. Collectively, we are the church.

"Church" isn't something outside of ourselves that we choose to associate with on certain days of the week. If you are a Christ follower, you are part of the body of Christ. You are a piece of the church.

They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. Everyone was filled with awe at the many wonders and signs performed by the apostles. All the believers were together and had everything in common. They sold property and possessions to give to anyone who had need. Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved.  Acts 2:42-47

How did we get from ^ that ^ to holding down padded chairs once a week for an hour? I can't speak for all Christians everywhere, but for me I know that...

...being busy gets in the way. Somehow, at the end of the day, I'm still left with a list of things to do that I didn't get done. And when I think back over the day, I realize my day was filled with pointless little nothings that I could have skipped. There would have been time in there to talk with a stranger, or play with a kid, or _______.

...being inconsistent with Bible study and prayer time creates a blurry focus. It's kinda hard to know what you're supposed to do if you don't read the instruction manual and talk to the boss. Without a clear picture of living for and worshiping Christ, we (I!) are guilty of going along with how it's always been done.

Which leads to the question: What are we going to do about it? What are you going to do about it? What am I going to do about it?

I, for one, want to get back to worshiping and serving out of joy and love for the Lord rather than duty. Maybe we need to ask ourselves some questions as we go through the "normal" motions of church. Did I mean what I just sang? Why don't we pray more during the service? Did I really pay attention to the sermon, and come away with questions to dig deeper into? 

While I'm not denying that God can and will use anything, I have to ask myself: does the time I spend perfecting a bulletin insert to advertise an event have as much value as if I took that time and spent it tutoring a child whose parents don't care, or helping out at Soup Kitchen? Maybe... But maybe not.

When I see little boys (7? maybe 8?) riding down a busy street on bicycles with no parent in sight, or when I see the cars splash the elderly man walking down the side of the road in the rain because moving over a little would be too much trouble, I'm inclined to think that spending time making that half sheet of paper look nice really wasn't worth it...that spending time making the music sound nice in the service really wasn't worth it.

I need to stop doing church. I need to start being church.

Comments

  1. This is so amazingly convicting, because you point out that I am the Church. I can't sit around and point out the Church's failings and not do anything, because the Church is not a corporation that exists to serve me. Since I am the Church, it's my problem too... So what am I doing?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Note About My Siblings

The Original Siblings These are the "siblings". With the last three of the bunch graduating high school this year, I think it's an appropriate time to introduce them. On the left is Liz. An accounting major, she provides the common sense in the bunch. And thanks to her love of musicals, we all are a little more cultured. Next is Aaron. If you're ever in a jam, he'll be the first to help you out. And he'll make you laugh very hard in the process. Then Steph. Whether you've known her for 10 minutes or 10 years, she'll make you feel like an old friend. And she's often responsible for the-- never mind. It's classified. And Nick. Nick can hack your database or take a perfectly composed picture of a sunrise, depending on the day. And he's also got car ride composition covered. Abby. You'll know Abby's been there by the trail of little children tagging along after her. And she keeps us classy in word and deed. Finally Mica

The Thing I Hate About School

It's consuming. Here we are, last day of classes with four days of finals to go, and I'm consumed with homework. I have no time for people. I HATE IT!!! I like people. I like being with people, doing things with people, talking with people, and sharing real life with people. When I'm spending hours on homework, people have to get skipped. You want to do something with me? Well, I have an opening between 4:37 and 4:52. Would that work for you? No? Ok, how about three weeks from next Tuesday at 12:57? Oh, you have class then? Well, you'll have to go on my waiting list. If a Marketing Plan cancels, I'll let you know. That's basically been my whole semester. As frustrating as it has been, I've learned from it. Not necessarily applied what I've learned, but I have learned. A family friend who works for Campus Crusade in Florida says it well in one of his blog posts: "Everybody has 168 hours each week... The schedule is in your hands. How will you use yo

My Wise Advice

As I'm approaching my quarter-century-versary, I've been thinking about what wisdom I have to offer to the young whippersnappers. I don't have much. But there are a few things I've learned (the hard way is most often my learning style...). Don't make the mistake of thinking someday you'll "arrive" in your faith and have it all together. Stay teachable to the best of your ability. If you feel too confident in what you know about God, the Bible,etc., take a step back and remember how awesomely huge God is. Don't be like the pharisees and assume because you're a generally good person that you've got it figured out. God will make sure something happens that reminds you of that, and it probably won't be a good time. Make life a great big learning experience. Any time you have the opportunity to watch someone do something or try a new thing, take it. Watch the piano tuner. Hold the flashlight for the plumber. Pump the brake pedal for th