Skip to main content

Called to Stay

I get jealous of people who get to GO and make disciples. Probably because I only hear the highlights and the "wow!" moments, I have this idea that it is the ultimate level of ministry. Somehow staying here in comfortable American just doesn't seem to be on the same spiritual level of going to a physically uncomfortable place and spending long hours on Bible translation or church planting.

But as much as I want to GO, I can't get past the feeling that, for now, I have been called to STAY.

In being called to stay, I'm saying that....

-I'm called to make Christ known everywhere I go, whether it's the bank, the grocery store, or the thrift store (actually, those are kind of the only places I do go... so... yeah).

-I'm called to disciple those around me who do believe.

-I'm called to care for the widows and orphans in my little world.

-I'm called to give sacrificially.

-I'm called to take risks by faith to bring people to Christ.

If I'm going to declare myself called to stay, it's only fair that I admit that I fail daily on each one of those points, and I get distracted from the important stuff with the pursuit of comfort.

If I'm going to say I'm called to stay, I have to stay with the same intention and diligence that I would go with.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Thing I Hate About School

It's consuming. Here we are, last day of classes with four days of finals to go, and I'm consumed with homework. I have no time for people. I HATE IT!!! I like people. I like being with people, doing things with people, talking with people, and sharing real life with people. When I'm spending hours on homework, people have to get skipped. You want to do something with me? Well, I have an opening between 4:37 and 4:52. Would that work for you? No? Ok, how about three weeks from next Tuesday at 12:57? Oh, you have class then? Well, you'll have to go on my waiting list. If a Marketing Plan cancels, I'll let you know. That's basically been my whole semester. As frustrating as it has been, I've learned from it. Not necessarily applied what I've learned, but I have learned. A family friend who works for Campus Crusade in Florida says it well in one of his blog posts: "Everybody has 168 hours each week... The schedule is in your hands. How will you use yo...

A Lamp to My Feet

"I'm so thankful for the Word of God that continues to, day by day, guide my steps and give me just enough light for the step I'm on." -Abby Hickey of Little Birdie Blessings I'm so thankful for my friend Abby and her encouragement. She has consistently texted me a scripture verse at least 4 times a week since last October. I can't begin to count the times when the verse she has sent has been exactly what I needed at the exact moment I needed it.  The day I was annoyed with EVERYONE on the road and EVERYONE that called in to work: "Clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, and patience." Colossians 3:12b The day I was agonizing over decisions affecting the future: "Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and He will establish your plans." Proverbs 16:3 The day I was going have a second interview and would possibly have to make a decision and I had no idea what way to go: "Whether you turn to the right or th...

My Wise Advice

As I'm approaching my quarter-century-versary, I've been thinking about what wisdom I have to offer to the young whippersnappers. I don't have much. But there are a few things I've learned (the hard way is most often my learning style...). Don't make the mistake of thinking someday you'll "arrive" in your faith and have it all together. Stay teachable to the best of your ability. If you feel too confident in what you know about God, the Bible,etc., take a step back and remember how awesomely huge God is. Don't be like the pharisees and assume because you're a generally good person that you've got it figured out. God will make sure something happens that reminds you of that, and it probably won't be a good time. Make life a great big learning experience. Any time you have the opportunity to watch someone do something or try a new thing, take it. Watch the piano tuner. Hold the flashlight for the plumber. Pump the brake pedal for th...