Skip to main content

Remembering the Lord your God

11 “Take care lest you forget the Lord your God by not keeping his commandments and his rules and his statutes, which I command you today,
12 
lest, when you have eaten and are full and have built good houses and live in them,

13 and when your herds and flocks multiply and your silver and gold is multiplied and all that you have is multiplied,
14 then your heart be lifted up, and you forget the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery,
15 
who led you through the great and terrifying wilderness, with its fiery serpents and scorpions and thirsty ground where there was no water, who brought you water out of the flinty rock,

16 who fed you in the wilderness with manna that your fathers did not know, that he might humble you and test you, to do you good in the end.
17 
Beware lest you say in your heart, ‘My power and the might of my hand have gotten me this wealth.’

18 
You shall remember the Lord your God, for it is he who gives you power to get wealth, that he may confirm his covenant that he swore to your fathers, as it is this day.

19 And if you forget the Lord your God and go after other gods and serve them and worship them, I solemnly warn you today that you shall surely perish.
20 
Like the nations that the Lord makes to perish before you, so shall you perish, because you would not obey the voice of the Lord your God.

Exodus 8:11-20
I stumbled across this passage doing a word search this morning. And wow.

Since April, I've struggled with a mystery health issue. The conclusion is that I had a dormant Lyme infection with Babesiosis that suddenly became active. Recovery is s-l-o-w going. It has been a humbling experience.

"Beware lest you say in your heart, 'My power and the might of my had have gotten me this wealth.'"  

All the things I took pride in before have been nixed. My steel trap mind is no longer a steel trap- I don't remember what you said to me two seconds ago. My once huge stress tolerance level is now tiny- too long a line at the checkout and the panic starts to rise. My common answer to "hey, do you want to..." is "sorry, it's past my bedtime (8:30pm)".

The big things-- backing out of a police dispatch hiring process at the last step- and the little things-- having to ask someone to drive me to work when it was bad- have been a constant reminder of my lack of control. Frustration has reigned many days. But this...

"...that he might humble you and test you, to do you good in the end..."

...means there's hope- I've already seen good out of this when I choose to set aside the disappointments and failures. Even when we are faithless, He remains faithful.

"You shall remember the Lord your God, for it is he who gives you power to get wealth..."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Wise Advice

As I'm approaching my quarter-century-versary, I've been thinking about what wisdom I have to offer to the young whippersnappers. I don't have much. But there are a few things I've learned (the hard way is most often my learning style...). Don't make the mistake of thinking someday you'll "arrive" in your faith and have it all together. Stay teachable to the best of your ability. If you feel too confident in what you know about God, the Bible,etc., take a step back and remember how awesomely huge God is. Don't be like the pharisees and assume because you're a generally good person that you've got it figured out. God will make sure something happens that reminds you of that, and it probably won't be a good time. Make life a great big learning experience. Any time you have the opportunity to watch someone do something or try a new thing, take it. Watch the piano tuner. Hold the flashlight for the plumber. Pump the brake pedal for th

The Thing I Hate About School

It's consuming. Here we are, last day of classes with four days of finals to go, and I'm consumed with homework. I have no time for people. I HATE IT!!! I like people. I like being with people, doing things with people, talking with people, and sharing real life with people. When I'm spending hours on homework, people have to get skipped. You want to do something with me? Well, I have an opening between 4:37 and 4:52. Would that work for you? No? Ok, how about three weeks from next Tuesday at 12:57? Oh, you have class then? Well, you'll have to go on my waiting list. If a Marketing Plan cancels, I'll let you know. That's basically been my whole semester. As frustrating as it has been, I've learned from it. Not necessarily applied what I've learned, but I have learned. A family friend who works for Campus Crusade in Florida says it well in one of his blog posts: "Everybody has 168 hours each week... The schedule is in your hands. How will you use yo

A Lamp to My Feet

"I'm so thankful for the Word of God that continues to, day by day, guide my steps and give me just enough light for the step I'm on." -Abby Hickey of Little Birdie Blessings I'm so thankful for my friend Abby and her encouragement. She has consistently texted me a scripture verse at least 4 times a week since last October. I can't begin to count the times when the verse she has sent has been exactly what I needed at the exact moment I needed it.  The day I was annoyed with EVERYONE on the road and EVERYONE that called in to work: "Clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, and patience." Colossians 3:12b The day I was agonizing over decisions affecting the future: "Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and He will establish your plans." Proverbs 16:3 The day I was going have a second interview and would possibly have to make a decision and I had no idea what way to go: "Whether you turn to the right or th