Skip to main content

RHYTHMS & RITUALS

Sunrise and sunset.

Seasons.
Ocean tides.

There’s something soothing as an adult about the fact that there are some things we can count on. We might think we don’t need a routine as much as a child does, but perhaps I’m a large child because I melt into a pile of figurative snotty tears when my usual life rhythm is upset.

The difference between me as a child and me as an adult though is that now, creating a rhythm for my daily life is all up to me, no one creates it for me.

The easier route is to do whatever I feel like at the moment... isn’t that what we always dreamed of doing as kids?! But it doesn’t take more than a day or two for me to start to feel unsettled, and like a child it’s only a few days more before everyone around me knows it!

The harder route is to intentionally choose what my daily rhythm looks like, and to have the discipline to do the things that are good for me, even if they aren’t what I feel like doing.
. . .
A few notes to my fellow overachievers and perfectionists about rhythms...

A rhythm without grace will become a stress-inducing schedule and you will feel like a failure often.

Any attempt to manufacture peace and joy apart from Christ will not last. It may work for a time, but soon your self-created supply will dry up.

Less is more. Again with the schedule thing, a rhythm should be life-giving, not life-draining. We also need time to think and feel, and busyness often covers up what’s going on inside.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Thing I Hate About School

It's consuming. Here we are, last day of classes with four days of finals to go, and I'm consumed with homework. I have no time for people. I HATE IT!!! I like people. I like being with people, doing things with people, talking with people, and sharing real life with people. When I'm spending hours on homework, people have to get skipped. You want to do something with me? Well, I have an opening between 4:37 and 4:52. Would that work for you? No? Ok, how about three weeks from next Tuesday at 12:57? Oh, you have class then? Well, you'll have to go on my waiting list. If a Marketing Plan cancels, I'll let you know. That's basically been my whole semester. As frustrating as it has been, I've learned from it. Not necessarily applied what I've learned, but I have learned. A family friend who works for Campus Crusade in Florida says it well in one of his blog posts: "Everybody has 168 hours each week... The schedule is in your hands. How will you use yo

My Wise Advice

As I'm approaching my quarter-century-versary, I've been thinking about what wisdom I have to offer to the young whippersnappers. I don't have much. But there are a few things I've learned (the hard way is most often my learning style...). Don't make the mistake of thinking someday you'll "arrive" in your faith and have it all together. Stay teachable to the best of your ability. If you feel too confident in what you know about God, the Bible,etc., take a step back and remember how awesomely huge God is. Don't be like the pharisees and assume because you're a generally good person that you've got it figured out. God will make sure something happens that reminds you of that, and it probably won't be a good time. Make life a great big learning experience. Any time you have the opportunity to watch someone do something or try a new thing, take it. Watch the piano tuner. Hold the flashlight for the plumber. Pump the brake pedal for th

A Lamp to My Feet

"I'm so thankful for the Word of God that continues to, day by day, guide my steps and give me just enough light for the step I'm on." -Abby Hickey of Little Birdie Blessings I'm so thankful for my friend Abby and her encouragement. She has consistently texted me a scripture verse at least 4 times a week since last October. I can't begin to count the times when the verse she has sent has been exactly what I needed at the exact moment I needed it.  The day I was annoyed with EVERYONE on the road and EVERYONE that called in to work: "Clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, and patience." Colossians 3:12b The day I was agonizing over decisions affecting the future: "Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and He will establish your plans." Proverbs 16:3 The day I was going have a second interview and would possibly have to make a decision and I had no idea what way to go: "Whether you turn to the right or th